Zombies, Self Defeat and Consequence. And other social media DOHs.

Zombies, Defeat and Consequence.

And other social media DOHs.

by Stan Faryna

Stan Faryna

Moby, Natural Blues

Self Defeat

Something is not going where you want it to go. Not fast enough.

It’s not taking you where you expected to get.

Social Media. Blogging. Your job. Your relationships. Whatever.

You have dreams and vision, but the long road of hope smells like fingers – as Bill Dorman has said.

10 years of blogging (actually more years than that but those activities shall be defined otherwise) and I have to say that defeat has beckoned me to surrender to it and join the walking dead – more than a few times (every year). Sometimes, several times in the same week.

Self-defeat has a magnetic personality, indeed.  It’s appeal comes at us with overwhelming and unstoppable determination. It is a constant companion – the one you just can’t ditch.

Defeat reminds me of a zombie apocalypse.

Zombies

Today’s victory makes no headway against it. Tomorrow, defeat awaits – undiscouraged by our past triumphs and epiphanies. And, worse, it is undiscouraged by the encouragement of tomorrow.

Jerking and moaning awkwardly toward us with an insatiable hunger, self defeat manifests as a world overrun by zombies, zombies everywhere, just around the corner, and, maybe, just a few steps away on your blind side.

Worse than this – defeat is extremely contagious. Perhaps, epidemic.

Consequence

The greatest challenge to the characters in any zombie apocalypse story is NOT keeping three steps ahead of the next zombie.

The greatest challenge is keeping the faith, keeping hope fueled, and the keeping on (keeping it moving) when everyone we know has joined the walking dead. Or fan them.

So it follows that when we accept self-defeat, we signal to others that self-defeat is normal, reasonable, and inescapable.

And that, perhaps, is the greatest harm we do.

Stan Faryna
31 October 2012
Bucharest, Romania

Recent Readings

Break Points Build Entrepreneurial Character by Mark Harai

Still Dodging the Snipers: 500 Posts and Counting by John Magnet Bell

Dad Will Kill Them Dead! by Jack Steiner

Two years and many blogging mistakes later by Hajra

What if today… you stopped worrying by Betsy Cross

011011000110111101110110011001010010
000001101110011001010111011001100101
011100100010000001100110011000010110
100101101100011100110000110100001010

12 Responses to Zombies, Self Defeat and Consequence. And other social media DOHs.

1. Betsy Cross says:

Took me a while, but I read all the posts listed. They were good!
    I love being around people who “keep on keeping on”. Gives me hope. Makes me feel “normal” You know? If they’re moving forward I can, too.
    HA! The “walking dead”…that’s what I was thinking and feeling about blogging for a while and why I couldn’t jump back in easily. I was over-thinking it, seeing it as a bubble world where nothing significant happened. But now I think, so what? Maybe I just don’t see what’s really going on yet? I’m okay with that because it’s not the only world I live in!
    P.S. Thanks for the link-share!

• Stan Faryna says:

What’s going on is people… doing what they need to be doing. Or trying. [warm smile]

The online and offline is one world for me. Mileage will vary.

2. Seth Godin said something of interest recently: To get unstuck, just start going down the wrong road.

This reminds me of Yamamoto Tsunetomo’s pronouncement on action and inaction: The best is to take right action; the next best thing is to take the wrong action; worst of all is doing nothing. (William Scott Wilson’s phrasing is far more elegant than mine, but I don’t have the Hagakure beside me at the moment.)

Self-defeat is indeed magnetic — your brain wants to protect you from failure and, if that means lingering in inaction, so be it. Funny creatures, we are. Like Yoda, I will speak no more, today.

• Stan Faryna says:

Yamamoto Tsunetomo was Yoda-ish indeed.

I remember this…

“Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.”

3. Hajra says:

I like it when people can just go on and on without burning out or being included in the walking dead. I can’t. I burn out easy and just go on off mode for quite some time. Quiet like the walking dead.

As for blogging, its half the battle to just show up. Regularly.

• Stan Faryna says:

Hajra,

We all need to take a pause (or rest) now and then. Or to do something else for a time. The moment will decide.

If the work is good and it measures and tests us, it will be a long, dark road. In this case, giving up is neither cunning nor wise.

Do not abandon the work that decides who you are and everything for which you can hope.

We have the fortitude to match our highest hopes. Or we shall receive it when our hearts are open like hands in askance.

4. You do have to have a plan to stay ahead of the zombies. If you don’t…well, we all know what happens when you’re caught by the zombies. Sometimes, you can fight through and against them, but it’s hard. It’s better to develop a strategy for the inevitable zombie attack.

5. billdorman says:

I can still see you……..:)

Speak from your heart!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s